Fire presents a huge threat to our homes so its very important that we take every precaution necessary to prevent them from happening. While we are often conscious of this in our homes, there is one area that we do not always think about and that’s the garage.
The garage is an area of our home that has the most potential for an accidental fire because it’s often the place we store our most flammable items. These items include: gasoline canisters, car parts, cleaning supplies and decorating items such as paint cans etc. It is also a place we do work on our cars and gardening equipment. With this in mind, it’s easy to see the need for good fire prevention measures to be in place.
What are some fire prevention steps we should take?
- Installing smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms in the garage is a crucial step to fire prevention and safety. Make sure that you check them monthly to make sure they are in good working order.
- If you are working in the garage, make sure you always do it with the door open so that you have good ventilation. Clean up any oil spills or any flammable liquid and do not leave garbage and dirty, oily rags lying around on the floor.
- Keep all flammable items clearly labeled and properly stored.
- If your garage connects to your home, check the door and frame for any gaps or broken seals that could permit toxic fumes to seep into your living space.
- Another step to take is to have your garage inspected by a certified home inspector who will be able to point out any areas of concern.
If you would like advice on safety for your garage or would like to schedule and inspection, please don’t hesitate to contact us.